Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating from Networker to Commvault galaxy

2008-07-08 10:37:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating from Networker to Commvault galaxy
From: Bruce Breidall <Bruce.Breidall AT CONCUR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 07:31:27 -0700
I would be cautious installing any third party HSM module, especially if
the number of files reaches into the millions.

You will find that it will be impossible to finish your sweeps of the
objects, and then you really have a mess. The management side will be a
nightmare (unable to clean up orphaned objects, unable to finish
migrations, etc...).

If the data is currently indexed and owned by an application, it is
there that policies should be enforced and data movement is controlled.
Easier said than done....but start planting the seed now.

Archiving and backups should be completely separate entities, and they
should never touch - especially when you are trying to address large
file systems with 100's of millions of files. The vendors will have you
thinking otherwise, because they know how difficult it is to get this
accomplished.

That is my opinion.