Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov

2008-07-03 10:13:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 00:06:16 +1000
Perhaps those tapes you are recycling were labelled after the date you used for
your mmrecov. In fact I recall the other day you said your retention was less
than 2 months.

Tapes have a short and a long internal volid. While the short one stays the
same, they get a new volid each time you relabel. So when you mmrecov'd to 2
months ago that would be expected that you would have a mismatch between what's
in the mmdb and on the tape's label.

This is a safety mechanism to prevent tapes from different datazones with
identical barcodes from being accidentally wiped. Be thankful for it. It
prevents pain and is the essence of why networker keeps your data safe even
when you mix up drive ordering.

Next time you have WISS errors I suggest you try and avoid mmrecov if possible.

 Try shutdown. Remove the tmp files. Startup and run nsrim -X