Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov

2008-07-03 09:34:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:31:33 -0400
Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 07/03/2008 09:21:07 AM:

> On Jul 3, 2008, at 9:16 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:
>
> > Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 07/03/2008 09:08:30 AM:
> >
> >> If you delete the volumes you want to relabel with "nsrmm -d volname"
> >> you should be able to relabel them.
> >
> > OK, that works. But why do I need it *now*? I know I never had to do
> > "nsrmm -d volname" before. I would just mark them as recyclable, and
> > just
> > issue the nsrjb -R -L command.
> >
> > I can put that in the script, before it re-labels. Have to look up the
> > option for non-interactive use.
>
> You're lucky if this is the first time you had to delete volumes from
> the media database in order to manually relabel them. You certainly
> shouldn't need to do that, but it is a "normal" course of action for
> many NetWorker system administrators, including me. Why? I don't know.

Harrumph. :-) OK, not that big a deal to do a

@ECHO YES | nsrmm -v -d %TapeVol%

in the script before the "nsrjb". I just find it weird that it only came
up after a mmrecov, and it worked before the mmrecov (and in fact, was
working at the time the mmrecov tape was made, 2 months ago).

> I chalk it off to a software bug. Perhaps it will be fixed in a future
> NetWorker version, but considering this problem has persisted for
> years, I am not holding my breath. On the upside, for some reason, I
> noticed that this happens a lot less frequently since I upgraded to 7.4.

Yeah, I got a lot more to worry about that this. :-)

Thanks