Networker

Re: [Networker] Sample Backup Policy

2008-06-27 10:05:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sample Backup Policy
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:01:18 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
06/27/2008 06:37:26 AM:

> On Jun 27, 2008, at 4:20 AM, Elvis Ademba wrote:
>
> > Dear All.
> >
> > I write to find where i can get sample / generic information backup
> > policy.
>
> Elvis;
>
> For most clients where I work, we have three months retention period
> with all of it browsable, once a week full backup (a few just monthly
> fulls) and daily incrementals (a few differentials). Keep in mind that
> any backup policy needs to reflect the business needs of the
> organization who owns the data being backed up.

In my case, except for 2 instances (my SAN, which is reaching close to
1TB, and another client that has a multi-hundred G flat-file copy of a
database), we do fulls every night. At some point soon, I may have to
change that. I hate incrementals; I do differentials on the 2 mentioned
above (well, I do NetWorker level 1, which effectively works out to be the
same thing).

We do 2 month retention/2 month browse; for certain things like mail and
the SAN, I have 1 year retention, but only 2 months browse.