Networker

Re: [Networker] HP-UX multiple Interfaces with same IP subnet

2008-06-27 09:21:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] HP-UX multiple Interfaces with same IP subnet
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:14:11 -0500
Hello,
I use "Generic Trunking (FEC/GEC)/802.3ad-Draft Static " mode on master
server ( Dell-Windows 2003 X 64 Bit), Along with configuring Brodcomm NIC,
Cisco etherchennel along the line described below was configured.
>From the documentation for the NIC Teaming, this mode allows the balancing
as below, there are few other teaming modes available to suite your needs
"Trunking supports load balancing and failover for both outbound and
inbound traffic."
Thanks

Stein-Are Smoge <stein.are.smoge AT ROLLS-ROYCE DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
06/26/2008 05:57 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
stein.are.smoge AT ROLLS-ROYCE DOT COM

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] HP-UX multiple Interfaces with same IP subnet

Hi,

I think you need the APA software to do proper load balancing. In
combination with our Cisco Catalyst 6509 swithes we configured a
Etherchannel which enabeled receive load balancing.

The apa will then create a virtual interface called lan900 and this is
configured as an IPv4 interface.

It is working very well on our enviroment.

S-A

Birk Bohne <birk.bohne AT batchworks DOT de>
26.06.2008 10:33

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc
Stein-Are Smoge <stein.are.smoge AT ROLLS-ROYCE DOT COM>
Subject
Re: HP-UX multiple Interfaces with same IP subnet

Thanks for sharing your experiences. So i must configure both nics as a
team. I tried to avoid this, because of my bad experiences with teaming
under windows and linux. All teaming configurations with different
hardware at different customers
show no throughput gain on the receive side. The load balancing(also
802.3ad) works only for send packets. This is useless for backup servers
and storage nodes... Maybe the HP-UX IP stack can surprise me this time.

greetings
Birk Bohne

----- "Stein-Are Smoge" <stein.are.smoge AT ROLLS-ROYCE DOT COM> schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> We tried this a couple of years ago. All clients who had the second
> NIC'
> as "server network interface" sent their backup data to broadcast
> which
> again caused our network to collapse.  The answer from HP was that it
> is
> not supported. HP-UX does not work correctly when two NIC's are
> configued
> in the same subnet. The onlky way to do that is either using bundeled
> NIC's
> or NIC's in different subnets.
>
> Our solution was to buy the Auto Port Aggregation (APA. This allowed
> us to
> bundle three NIC's into one VLAN(server LAN) and another three in a
> different VLAN(deignated backup LAN) in two different subnets.  As APA
> in
> combination with Cisco only supports four bundeled NIC's this was the
> only
> solution to utilize all our six NIC's
>
> Sorry for the bad news.
>
> Regards
> Stein-Are Smoge
> ICT Senior Consultant
> Rolls-Royce Marine - ICT Operations - Head Office Ulsteinvik
> Email:stein.are.smoge AT rolls-royce DOT com
> Phone:        +4770014298
> Mobile:       +4795721585
> Fax:             +4770014020

The data contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain
confidential information. If you have received it in error you should
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from
your system and contact +44 (0) 1332 242424 (the Rolls-Royce IT Security
Director) if you need assistance. Please do not copy it for any purpose,
or disclose its contents to any other person.

An e-mail response to this address may be subject to interception or
monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

(c) 2008 Rolls-Royce plc

Registered office: 65 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AT Company number:
1003142. Registered in England.