Networker

Re: [Networker] One command line contest?

2008-06-27 07:35:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] One command line contest?
From: "Macina, Conrad" <Conrad.Macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:28:36 -0400
In Valen's name? Does that mean it's Valen's time day?

It looks like you're running two contests, one for the best one-line
NetWorker command and one for the most outrageous Dumb User story.

Anyway, my favorite one-liner produces a .csv file listing all tapes
written between mm/dd/yy and MM/DD/YY:

mminfo -a -r "volume,client,savetime" -q "savetime >= mm/dd/yy, savetime
<= MM/DD/YY" | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' ',' | sort -u | sed
's!^!'`hostname`,'!' > tapes.csv

My favorite Dumb User story (and a cautionary tale against giving DBAs
the root password):

A newly-minted DBA was tasked with upgrading Oracle on a Solaris box. So
the DBA did what he had been trained to do to remove all remnants of the
old version:
        cd bin
        rm -rf *
This works if you're logged in as the user oracle. You end up wiping out
{ORACLEHOME}/bin, which -- in this environment at least -- is where the
Oracle binaries are kept.

Unfortunately, he was logged in as root at the time. What he did was
wipe out /bin. This is generally considered poor form on a Solaris box.

The DBA left the company (voluntarily) shortly after that incident. When
he left, of course, we had to change the root password. In his honor we
changed it to "rm-rfstar".

I'll be sitting by my mailbox waiting for my prize :^)

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.