Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade from 7.2 - 7.4 question

2008-06-13 16:21:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade from 7.2 - 7.4 question
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:14:27 -0400
Since it takes the better part of an 8 hour day to re-scan a tape and
re-build the index, I'm trying to avoid having to do that... Besides our
Networker 'downtime' is continually shrinking due to ever increasing
demands for backup capacity..(it's now less than 6 hours per day). If
they request data and we tell them it's going to take two days (per
tape) to get it... They won't be as happy as if we can simply restore
and produce it in one day..

People don't realize that yes maybe disk space is really cheap now, but
the capacity to back it up is not always cheap and is finite ...