Networker

Re: [Networker] over run rmans

2008-06-12 07:51:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] over run rmans
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:37:01 +0100
Hi Michael,
We run a very similar setup here EXCEPT:
- We have one Group per database instance (so one hang won't hold up the other databases) - I have a cron job that switches off "Autostart" on the groups overnight so that we don't get contention for the lock on the Oracle control file when the main database backups kick in.

This setup seems to work well, and still offers a suitable level of protection. (We're mostly a "working day" kind of place, so it's most unlikely that anyone would request a restore of a database to 2AM, so not having the overnight Archive Log backups isn't a big issue.)

HTH.
From
Will

michael mcgearty wrote:
Hi,

This is question that has more than likely been asked before but i couldn't
find it.

We have a group with about 15 clients that do rman archive log backups and
it is scheduled every 4 hours. The problem is sometimes, mostly out of
hours,  one of the clients gets stuck and doesn't finish so the group stops
rerunning every 4 hours and other clients in the group dint run again until
group is manually stopped or the stuck client finishes. This causes archive
logs to fill up file systems and oracle stops responding.

Any ideas on how to fix this.

We are running Networker 7.4 with service pack 2 on Solaris 10.

--

w.parsons AT leeds.ac DOT uk
UNIX Support