Networker

Re: [Networker] Monitoring a NetWorker server

2008-06-12 06:12:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Monitoring a NetWorker server
From: "Macina, Conrad" <Conrad.Macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:56:22 -0400
I would suggest also monitoring the daemon.log file for messages like
these (message texts are current as of 7.2.x; YMMV with other versions):

"duplicate name; pick new name or delete old one"

"Hardware Error, Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x01" (may indicate an
upside-down tape)

"cannot find slot ##### in operation slots list." (NetWorker tried to
unload a drive but had no empty slot for the tape. Rare -- and always
the result of clumsy manual intervention -- but serious)

Any message containing the string "RAP error" (depending on your
environment you may have to exclude certain subtypes of this message)

"WISS error" (this message not only lets you know about a potential
problem, it also serves to alert you about unplanned reboots)

"aborted, savegrp is already running"

"Too many open files" (rare but deadly)

"Label check failed"