Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drives getting "stuck" on storage node

2008-06-10 08:36:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drives getting "stuck" on storage node
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:27:27 +0100
Hans de Vries wrote:
On one of our sites we have had a lot of similar problems running NetWorker 7.3.3 with a STL L700 library using HP LTO3 tapedrives. The same type of library with IBM LTO2 drives did not cause any trouble. Several times a week tapes were stuck in the drives (sometimes only one, sometimes more). Eject was not possible without powering off the tapedrive. In our opinion this should be a hardware problem, and maybe it is. But after updating the server and storagenodes to Networker 7.4 SP2 the problems have disappeared.

Problems like these are often resolved by tweaking the timer values in the jukebox resource. In particular, slightly longer values for eject_sleep and unload_sleep might help.