Networker

Re: [Networker] Index issue

2008-06-03 16:37:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Index issue
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:24:27 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Index issue, Jim Buitt said (at 11:25am on Jun 3,...:

Won't I have to merge my old index directory with my new one?  If so,
how would I go about doing so?  I imagine I'd have to shut down
Networker, move /nsr_index to /nsr_index.new, recreate the /nsr_index
directory, mount it and then somehow merge the old information with the
new (perhaps with nsrck?)

Merging indexes used to be nearly impossible for customers, though I've
heard that Legato had a way to do it and could perform the task for a
charge.

I'm not certain if merging index entries is any easier these days, since
the client index format has changed to many files.

I'm strongly suspicious that rather than attempting any kind of manual merge
of your two index directories, which is going to be error prone and
dangerous if you don't have a good grasp of the index format, you would
be much better off by

- making a note of all tapes that have been written to and all savesets
  that have happened since your indexes started getting written to the
  wrong spot

- abandon the indexes that have happened since then.

- use scanner -m to teach NetWorker about the savesets that have taken place
  since indexes started going to the wrong place

- use either "nsrck -L7" to load the client indexes from the most recent
  index backup for each client (I don't know how well that's going to
  work in your case, because of your split indexes, but it's easy so
  it's worth a try) or use scanner -i with a list of ssids to teach
  NetWorker about the contents of the savesets that have taken place
  since "the event".

That's what I would do, in your situation.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)