Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning all incrementals for a client or group

2008-05-30 17:52:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning all incrementals for a client or group
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 22:44:53 +0100
JWCollins wrote:
I would like to be able to clone all incremental backups since the last full
for a client  or group to a tape each day. I cannot figure out how to do this,
or if it is even possible.

Currently, all incrementals are cloned to tape, and that tape is taken offsite daily. I can manually clone the multiple selected savesets, but there's got to be a way to automate it, (I hope). :?
We run a monthly full on @ 400GB of documents, and daily diff's run 500MB-1GB.
I would like to have everything available on just two tapes, the last full
clone, and the latest incremental clone that includes all incrementals for a
client or group.

There are two options.

In order to clone what you already have, you are going to need a scripted solution. A script would consist of one or more mminfo queries to determine what needs to be cloned, followed by one or more nsrclone commands to copy the save sets to tape.

The other way would be to move away from incrementals and use level backups instead. The down side of that is that your daily backups will be larger than they are now, possibly considerably larger depending on your data.