Networker

Re: [Networker] Fw: [Networker] Parallelism of "backup clone" pool devices?

2008-05-29 11:34:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Fw: [Networker] Parallelism of "backup clone" pool devices?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:30:40 -0400
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 05/29/2008
11:01:15
AM:

> MIchael Leone wrote:
> > EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> > 05/29/2008 10:21:15 AM:
> >
> >> The "max parallelism" set to 4 seems fishy to me.  If you want 5 jobs
> >> run, doesn't this need to be increased to at least 5?
> >
> > Don't think so .. my other 4 drive library is set to 4, and it
definitely
> > runs 5 or more jobs at the same time.
> >
> > I believe the parallelism refers to the total number of drives that
can be
> > in use at one time, not the total number of jobs that be run acorss
the
> > sum of all the drives.
>
> No it's not that at all. Max parallelism on the library controls how
> many tape operations may run simultaneously, such as tape
> mounts/unmounts, label operations, inventory operations etc. It has no
> bearing on how many save sessions may be run.

Well, that's close to what I said. :-) So any idea how can I specify to
run more clone jobs that the number of physical drives in the library? I
know that regular backup jobs (i.e., not backup clones) will execute more
jobs simulataneously than there are physical drives. Someone posted that
they thought that backup clone jobs were single-threaded, and thus if I
have 4 drives, only 4 backup clone jobs would execute at one time.