Networker

Re: [Networker] Save "Session" Info in GUI translated to output

2008-05-27 15:47:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Save "Session" Info in GUI translated to output
From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT VT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:41:27 -0400
On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:21:30 EDT, "Goslin, Paul" said:
>  I can't understand of what use this data would be... If it is possible
> to capture this data in text format, what could it be used for ? You
> would simply be getting a snapshot in time of the current save sessions
> running at that moment. Come back five minutes later, you now have a
> different picture compared to what it was before.

Or so you hope.  If something is still where it was 5 or 10 minutes ago,
it may be hung.

>                                                    The number of current
> sessions is constantly in a state of change, as sessions complete, new
> ones start, until the work-list of all save-sets for the entire group
> and all its clients is exhausted.... Then the group completes and
> triggers a savegroup completion event...

You need a snapshot of "now" to compare to several hours from now if you're
trying to tell if a backup is stalled or not.  Simply doing a 'ps' (or
whatever Windows has) and seeing "process running" isn't enough - there's
a difference between "process had written 23G at 3AM and 97G at 9AM" and
"process had written 23G at 3AM and 23G at 9AM"...