Networker

Re: [Networker] What is this label error message?

2008-05-27 00:25:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] What is this label error message?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 04:16:24 +0000
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 06:53:54PM +1000, Rachel Polanskis wrote:
> Hi,
> While labeling some volumes, I came across this error:
>
> Mon 02:36:11 PM media warning: rd=chaney:/dev/rmt/1cbn reading: Tape label
> read for volume ? in pool ?, is not recognised by Networker: Not enough
> space

Actually, that's a warning, not an error.

> To be certain, I deleted the volumes and relabeled them again and
> the second time through, there was no error.

Right.  Because Networker had successfully labeled it the first time, so
the data on it was readable for the second label attempt.

> The volumes were successfully labeled in the past.....    I have never
> seen an error like this before.

This warning is coming from the OS.  It appears that instead of an
unlabled tape, this one had data on it with a very large blocksize.  The
"not enough space" message means that the buffer that Networker
allocated was not large enough to hold the entire tape block.

--
Darren