Networker

[Networker] NW 7.2->7.4 upgrade - clients...

2008-05-22 12:03:42
Subject: [Networker] NW 7.2->7.4 upgrade - clients...
From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT VT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:01:08 -0400
So I inherited a fairly large (300 clients backing up to an SL8500) 7.2
server, and we have some LTO-4 tape drives on order, which apparently
need 7.3.3 or later to support, so I may as well upgrade to "latest and
greatest".  I've got the media, the documentation, the licenses, and all
that.

I found a nice blurb about the auto-ambush client upgrade on page 45 of
the Install guide, and quickly dismissed that as a non-starter in our
environment.

What I *can't* find is any clear statement about client versus server
release levels - in particular:

1) If the server is at 7.2, will a 7.4 client work if they upgrade first?
2) Once the client goes to 7.4, what's the oldest client that will still
be supported? I think I've got a few 7.1 clients still out there...

Any "you idiot, read page NN of the Foo Guide" replies would be greatly
appreciated... :)