Networker

Re: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking backups

2008-05-14 16:33:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking backups
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:27:46 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking...:

I recently moved this client from an old (5.1.103) Networker server to a
newer (7.3.2) server.  Backups worked just fine on the old server, but are
failing on the new one.  It appears to be failing because it is trying to
nslookup all of the VIFs:

* my.client.net:All savefs: Reverse DNS lookup failed for
address 1.2.3.1
* my.client.net:All savefs: Reverse DNS lookup failed for
address 1.2.3.2
* my.client.net:All savefs: Reverse DNS lookup failed for
address 1.2.3.3

Does anyone have an idea how to get around this, or why it is doing this?
I surely don't want to have to tell the admin they have to make 188 DNS
entries.

It's doing this because EMC changed the behavior of the client.  I'm
guessing (and that's all it is) that their theory is that they would
prefer to have the client detect any DNS lookup failures and have the client
completely fail, rather than have it operate in an environment where there
may be DNS issues that may later impact how backups or restores work.

The fix is to make sure the client can resolve (forward and reverse) all
the IP addresses bound to it and the IP address it's using to communicate
with the server.  In a pinch, you can do this with /etc/hosts entries and
the appropriate resolver lookup configuration in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)