Networker

Re: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking backups

2008-05-14 16:16:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] DNS lookups on virtual interfaces breaking backups
From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT VT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:02:14 -0400
On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:36:51 -0000, Thomas S Pinard said:
> I have a Solaris client that has 188 VIFs.  These VIFs are on a seperate
> network than the primary interface, but statically routed to the primary
> interface.
>
> I recently moved this client from an old (5.1.103) Networker server to a
> newer (7.3.2) server.  Backups worked just fine on the old server, but are
> failing on the new one.  It appears to be failing because it is trying to
> nslookup all of the VIFs:
>
> * my.client.net:All savefs: Reverse DNS lookup failed for
> address 1.2.3.1

The solution that worked for our 7.2 server was to add an entry on the *client*
in the /etc/hosts that looked like:

hostname-1-2-3-1.whatever.tld   1.2.3.1
hostname-1-2-3-2.whatever.tld 1.2.3.2

(one for each interface).  The name can be made up - all it cares is that
there *is* an entry in /etc/hosts for that IP address.