Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain

2008-05-10 01:41:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain
From: Jonathan Loran <jloran AT SSL.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 22:36:18 -0700
Hi Conrad and list:

We investigated Data Domain, and we did a test of a DD200 when it first came out, 3 or so years back. Was very impressed with the speed and somewhat impressed with the dedupe ratio. However, it was way to expensive for our UC budget. More to my point: we are interested in investigating Avamar, which is integrated into Networker 7.4.2. It has in interesting implementation where the data duplication is discovered on the client side, such that the Avamar server keeps a hash of stored checksums, and the client queries the server as to whether the data block already exists on the server. If not, the data is sent with the checksum, if so, only the next checksum needs to be sent. This has the benefit of potentially dramatically reducing network traffic.

I'm wondering if anyone on the list has experience with EMC Avamar? It would be great to hear some non-biased reviews before I proceed.

Thanks,

Jon

Macina, Conrad wrote:
Hi, Kevin,

Leaving aside for at least a moment the discussion of vendors and spam,
I'm very interested in what you receive from your query about Data
Domain and possibly other dedupe vendors. I suspect other list members
will be as well. When you're done with your investigation, I wonder if
you could you please post a summary of your findings to the list?

One finding I'm particularly interested in: is it properly spelled
"dedupe" or "dedup"? :^)

Thanks!

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.