Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain

2008-05-08 14:45:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and Data Domain
From: Steve Duffy <sduffy AT EXAGRID DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:31:43 -0400
Kevin,

I would very much appreciate the chance to outline the differences
between Data Domain's approach to backup vs. ExaGrid systems.

Data Domain uses Block-Level data deduplication.  They also do the
process in-line to use less disk.

The problems with this approach are:

Backup performance is impeded by in-line de-duplication

Backup performance is impeded because you have to put all the blocks
back together again.

Tape copy performance is impeded because you have to put all the blocks
back together again.

Performance degrades as data grows because they only add storage
capacity and not additional process/memory to in-line

De-dupe the growing data.

Their net:

Higher priced

Slower performance for backup, restore and tape copy

Poor scalability

ExaGrid has focused on the backup process and built a system to improve
backup with grid scalability.

Fast backup performance - shortest backup window

Fast restore - 90% of restores come from the most recent backup, and
ExaGrid retains the last full backup in its entirety.

Fast Tape Copy

Performance scales as the data grows

All at the best price

http://www.exagrid.com <http://www.exagrid.com/>

http://www.exagrid.com/backup_applications/EMC_NetWorker.asp

How many TB's are you backing up in a Full?

Do you need a 1 or 2 site?

May I do a presentation for you? (online or in-person)

Best,

Steve Duffy

Stephen Duffy

ExaGrid Systems, Inc.