Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore script

2008-05-05 17:26:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore script
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:20:10 -0400
Tim> In regard to: Re: Restore script, John Stoffel said (at 9:07am on May 5,
2008):

Tim> In regard to: [Networker] Restore script, Rod Pudwell said (at 8:36pm
on...:

Tim> Look at the man page for recover, and pay particular attention to
Tim> the -a flag and probably also the -d flag.  For automated
Tim> recovery, -q and -u may also be interesting.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be simpler to pick a random saveset on the nights backups
>> and then attempt to just clone it to another tape?  This should verify
>> the saveset and that you've got a good backup.

Tim> Possibly, but that's not what Rod was asking about, so I didn't
Tim> think to also suggest that.  You make a good point, though.

He was asking to confirm his backups were good.  nsrclone seems to be
the simplest way to do it, and you get the ability to check all your
files.

Of course to make sure the file(s) are ok, you need to backup a
quiescent filesystem or snapshot, with proper application locking or
shutdown.

*grin*

It's never simple.

John