Networker

Re: [Networker] Recover can't find volume after "scanner -m"?

2008-04-30 15:02:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recover can't find volume after "scanner -m"?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:58:11 -0400
--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM
Philadelphia Housing Authority
2500 Jackson St
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Tel:  215-684-4180
Cell: 215-252-0143
<mailto:michael.leone AT pha.phila DOT gov>

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/30/2008 12:14:12 PM:

> In regard to: [Networker] Recover can't find volume after "scanner
-m"?,...:

> > Anyways, I do a "scanner -v -m <device>", and then it loads back into
the
> > media db. I go to the client, and do a "saveset" recover, using the
GUI
> > client. I choose the proper date of the saveset; I specify the
particular
> > files I want; I re-direct the files to a holding directory. "Required
> > volumes" shows me the volume I just scanned in. All things I've done
> > before.
> >
> > I load and mount the tape, and tell the recover to start. And it tells
me
> > the server can't find the volume. ...
> >
> > Volume does show in the media db. Volume shows in drive (with the
proper
> > volume label). I can view the savesets on the volume, and there is the
> > backup of the drive I am trying to recover from.
> >
> > It *should* Just Work, yes?
> >
> > So I missed something. But what?
>
> I don't think you missed anything.  Based on the steps you've described,
> it should be working.
>
> I've seen this kind of thing a few times, though it's been several years
> now since the last time, and generally it's been a problem with the
media
> database.
>
> I would verify that you don't have two volumes with the save volume name
> or barcode, or some other kind of duplication that might be confusing
> NetWorker.  On UNIX or Linux, doing something like
>
>     mminfo -a -r volume | wc -l

Works under Windows, too, if you install the GNU Win32 Utilities ...

<http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm>

> will tell you the total number of volume names, so if you then do
>
>     mminfo -a -r volume | sort -u | wc -l
>
> and the number is different, you have some type of duplication.

C:\PHA Scripts>mminfo -a -r volume | wc -l
847

C:\PHA Scripts>mminfo -a -r volume | sort | uniq | wc -l
847

> Repeating the same steps but querying on barcode or volid is also useful
(though I
> suspect it's not possible for volid to be duplicated).

Our barcodes are our volume labels.

C:\PHA Scripts>mminfo -a -r barcode | wc -l
847

C:\PHA Scripts>mminfo -a -r barcode | sort | uniq | wc -l
491

Now, that's strange ....

C:\PHA Scripts>mminfo -a -r volid | wc -l
847

C:\PHA Scripts>mminfo -a -r volid | sort | uniq | wc -l
847

> You might also try a
>
>     nsrim -vX

Doing that now ....