Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP indexing?

2008-04-30 10:10:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP indexing?
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:03:08 -0500
Hello,
Some NAS use snapshots ( Netapp) for NDMP backups & that open files etc
should not be an issue, also make sure you have adequate disk space on
backup server for Temp directory.
HTH

Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/30/2008 08:56 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] NDMP indexing?

I have a similar issue I am dealing with right now.  What I was seeing was
one of the directories on our NAS devices was backing up successfully, but
the indexes were failing and I had no idea because the savegroup reports
were reporting a  successful backup had "succeeded"....lesson learned to
look and make sure all the indexes are written.

The problem we found out that is if you have any process that is writing
to the NAS devices during your backup process, then the indexes will fail
unless you have something like Snapsure running.  We do not use Snapsure
(yet), so we are always looking that the data to do a backup.  Snapsure
uses checkpoints to avoid this issue.

My guess is...take a look at your NDMP savegroup reports and look at the
area of where the index writes.  See if see messages about a stale file
handler or a file that it is having a problem writing.  That could be the
problem.

On another note, I have had another issue with indexes failing on our NAS
backups because of a file names using non-English characters (russian
letters).  Networker doesn't know how to handle those characters, so the
savegroup report would show that file failing to save and also the index
would fail to write because of the file had non-standard characters. This
may be fixed in newer versions...I am still at 7.2.2 jumbo.

Kevin

>>> Eugene Vilensky <evilensky AT GMAIL DOT COM> 4/30/2008 9:40 AM >>>
> Have you specified
>
> DIRECT=y
> HIST=y
> UPDATE=y

We have.

> Also - is atar the recommended backup method for your NAS device?
> When I have worked with Celerra I have used dump but it depends what
> is available.

atar is recommended but dump has produced the same result; no file
index.  Saveset is recoverable but not browsable.

Thank you,
Eugene

type

type