Networker

Re: [Networker] Request for a MySQL backup module

2008-04-29 23:20:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Request for a MySQL backup module
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:18:15 +1000
Dmitri,

you are so welcome. I could embellish on the others, but thought I'd save your
reputation :-)So, are you saying  you've done something that could interface
into NetWorker?
Siobhán> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:26:26 -0700> From: joukovski AT GMAIL DOT
COM> Subject: Re: [Networker] Request for a MySQL backup module> To: NETWORKER
AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> > Thanks Siobhan for bringing public attention to
one of my many> failures to improve NetWorker:-) The reason why NW does not
have a> module for MySQL is that MySQL does not have an online backup API like>
Oracle has. It means that backup software such as Zmanda Recovery> Manager for
MySQL has to use LVM, ZFS, VxFS, VSS, or hardware> snapshots in combination
with MySQL binary logs for making hot backup> of MySQL. Backup images are
written to disk so NetWorker can make a> tape copy of MySQL backup images.> >
Regards> -------------> Dmitri Joukovski> Zmanda, Inc. Open Source Backup and
Recovery> http://www.zmanda.com/backup-mysql.html> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at
2:35 PM, Siobhan Ellis <siobhanellis AT hotmail DOT com> wrote:> > Stan,> >> >
Interesting. Dmitri Joukovsky, whilst a PM at Legato, tried to get a mySQL> >
module developed and failed. Now he is VP of PM at Zmanada, they have one,> >
and it is splashed out all over the Sun website.... because Sun now own> >
mySQL. And we all know who OEM's NetWorker right?> >> > My suggestion is to
also get mySQL/Sun to push EMC to do it. They carry a> > fair amount of
weight.> >> > Siobhan> >> >> >> > -----Original Message-----> > From: EMC
NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On> > Behalf
Of Stan Horwitz> > Sent: Wednesday, 30 April 2008 1:20 AM> > To: NETWORKER AT
LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> > Subject: [Networker] Request for a MySQL backup
module> >> > I am wondering if anyone on this list needs to do live backups of>
> MySQL databases. I do, but unfortunately, there isn't a NetWorker> > module
to do it. I recently submitted an RFE and I am told that only> > two other
customers have made that request, so its not likely to> > happen. If you need a
MySQL NetWorker module, please don't be shy> > about letting EMC know of your
requirements. Go onto PowerLink, submit> > a case, and ask to be added to RFE
LGTpa84650 so the product managers> > at EMC can have a stronger business case
for developing a MySQL> > module. Thanks.> >> > --> > Stan Horwitz> > Temple
University> > Enterprise Systems Group> > stan AT temple DOT edu> >> >
CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this e-mail,> >
including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is> > the
property of, Temple University. The information is intended for> > use solely
by the individual or entity named in the e-mail. If you are> > not an intended
recipient or you received this in error, then any> > review, printing, copying,
or distribution of any such information is> > prohibited. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and> > then delete this e-mail from your
system.> >> > To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple
DOT edu and type> > "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write
to> > networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems
with this> > list. You can access the archives at> >
http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> > via RSS at
http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER> >> > To sign off this
list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff
networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT
listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access
the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> > via
RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER> >> > To sign off
this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff
networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT
listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access
the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> via RSS
at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT