Networker

[Networker] Linux 64-bit or 32-bit for new server?

2008-04-18 15:40:26
Subject: [Networker] Linux 64-bit or 32-bit for new server?
From: Rich Graves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:24:41 -0500
Not sure how to read below, which according to the 7.4sp2 release notes is
still a problem. Have others on this experienced the mentioned crashes and/or
learned more details?

All else being equal, I would strongly prefer to upgrade my old 7.2.2/RHEL3
i386 server to 7.4.2/RHEL5 x86_64. It seems that I will want to run the 32-bit
rather than 64-bit version of the NetWorker binaries, but as long as I have the
right compatibility libraries, that should be fine, right?

Running the Linux 64-bit package with the 2.6.x kernel may result in crashes
LGTsc06585
A compatibility issue with libc and pthreads libraries on Linux 2.6
kernel-based
environments causes problems when running the 64-bit package for Linux on
platforms built on the 2.6.x kernel (for example, RedHat AS 4 and SuSE SLES 9).
Although operation may be normal at first, continued use of the 64-bit package
with a 2.6.x kernel may result in crashes of various programs.
Use the 32-bit package when running with a 2.6.x kernel. Running a 32-bit
package
instead of the 64-bit package should have no operational impact. The 64-bit
package can still be used for kernel version 2.4 Linux variants such as RedHat
AS 3
and SuSE SLES 8.
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves