Networker

Re: [Networker] recommendations for networker server upgrade

2008-04-18 06:18:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] recommendations for networker server upgrade
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:13:46 +0100
Hi Rick,
I'll add weight to the T2000 camp.
I implemented a storage node a few weeks back, and put one in as the Networker Server 10 days ago. We've got about 300 clients, and the old servers (both SUN E280R's) were maxed out on CPU running the network cards at 600Mb/s. The new boxes have EtherChannel running the 4 network cards together, and I'm now seeing 1,600Mb/s (Master server only) incoming from the network and out to the tape drives (14 LTO2 drives with Drive sharing). I'm probably now speed limited by the network further up-stream, and the sending speed of the clients, so I'm much happier about the whole setup.

My choice of the T2000 over the M series came down to money. If you can get THAT much grunt into a sub £10K server, why buy a £50K server? I got the 32 core, 16GB machines, and the CPU's are peaking at about 20% utilised, so I've got plenty of head-room for expansion. I've got 2 dual-port HBA's in there giving 2 ports for tape, and 2 for disk (just /nsr at present, but trialling an external array for BvD soon). I'm hoping that this setup will let me do plenty with disk, without having to buy separate SUN X4500's as storage nodes (not enough PCI-x bandwidth in those yet). All that, and I've STILL got enough spare PCI-e slots to drop in a 10Gig ethernet card when our Data Centre network gets upgraded this summer.

HTH.
From
Will

rick pim wrote:
our main networker server is a sun v490 (4x1500 MHz CPU, 32 GB)
direct-connected via fiber to 3 LTO-3 drives in an L8500 library.
our current tape footprint is probably in the 20-30 TB range
but we're expecting some growth.

this server has more or less performed adequately, but it has two
limitations:

 - PCI bus only
 - only two network interfaces

we're in the position that a data center network redesign is going
to require at least three network interfaces, so we're going to replace
the server rather than just trying to wedge another network card into
an already-too-small-bus.

we're a sun shop with almost exclusively sparc hardware so we'd like
to stick with that. with this constraint, two obvious upgrade paths
are:
  - one of the coolthreads servers, t2000, t5220 or similar
  - one of the other "midrange" servers -- sun's M series or equivalent

does anyone have experiences, horror stories, warnings or
recommendations that they'd be willing to share?

rp

rick pim                                           rick AT post.queensu DOT ca
information technology services                          (613) 533-2242
"Nine million terrorists in the world, and I gotta kill one with feet
smaller'n my sister."
                    -- Die Hard

w.parsons AT leeds.ac DOT uk
UNIX Support