Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.2.2 on Sun X4500 using AFTD and zfs

2008-04-14 06:43:21
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.2.2 on Sun X4500 using AFTD and zfs
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 06:40:32 -0400
Mark Davis wrote:
> Attila Mester wrote:
> Can you tell us more about the "special licenses". Do the X4500's not
> license under a standard Unix Storage Node license?
>

>From what I can tell, the 'Solaris x64 Storage Node' license is effectively
>the Standard Solaris SN license but priced at the Linux SN level (this was
>around before the x4500 existed).  I had thought that this was specific to Sun
>Store (where I could see them wanting to keep Sun x64 servers running Solaris
>when possible), but did not realize that this was an EMC license.  I don't
>have one of these yet, so corrections are welcome.

Ian, in regards to your question - our own concern is with ZFS in general.
Though we're happy with its performance in a Development environment, we're
leery of implementing it in production until we have it more widely deployed on
the more 'stressful' (i.e. everyone runs something all the time) test servers
and see what happens.

We also don't like the idea that a corruption of the 'master indexing file'
held on the boot disk will effectively wipe our entire configuration without
recovery (we use our adv_file disks as a sort of 'data warehouse' for certain
types of backup, so this is a showstopper).

Lastly, from our own testing here, RAID-5 on hardware is usually more efficient
on our SPARC servers than any software-based one (the sole exception,
paradoxically, being Veritas VxVM on a FC JBOD).

--TSK

Timothy Kimball,  Solaris SysAdmin,  Sungard/BRASS