Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 13:31:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:27:08 +0000
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:51:32PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > Right.  I was mentioning 'scanner -m' earlier, which deals with the
> > media database.  The File database is different.  After the browse time
> > expires, the file indexes are purged from the database.  So to do a file
> > recovery (not a saveset recovery), you'd need those indexes.
> >
> > If the client is still active, but you need the older indexes, the two
> > most common ways to merge them in would be 'nsrck -L7' to read an older
> > save of the indexes, or 'scanner -i' to recreate the indexes from the
> > saveset on tape.
>
> OK! So when the volume is in the database, but is beyond the browse time,
> I need to do a "scanner -i", because I *don't* save the indexes on tape
> with the job, if I want to get a specific file. This re-creates the
> listing of all the files in the savesets that are on the tape.

Do you save the indexes to tape at all (even if it's via a separate
job)?  If so, 'nsrck -L7' can find it.  If you have access to the
appropriate volume, it should work.  But 'scanner -i' is always
available as a fallback.

> If I *did* have the indexes on tape, I could do a "nsrck -L7", and NW
> would get the listing of files in the savesets on tape from the tape
> itself (it would prompt me to load the tape as necessary, I presume?)

Yes.  Why don't you save indexes to tape in some manner?  If you have a
problem with the server, you're not going to want to use scanner to
recreate all the indexes on your volumes.

> AH! Yes, I have a tape here that was apparently created by NW, but is
> *not* in the media database. I guess somebody inadvertently deleted the
> volume from the media database (before my time; this tape is from about 6
> months before I started here). This presumes that there's an index on
> tape? Or does that not matter?

We can't guess.  All you know is that it's not in the database.  You
might want to examine it with scanner to determine if it should be
re-introduced to the database, or if you want to label it as an
available tape for backups.