Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 10:27:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: "Landwehr, Jerome" <jlandweh AT HARRIS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:23:01 -0400
savegrp -O. That's how we do it if the environment is large enough.  The
way I decide to do it that way or not is how many tapes a Full backup
requires, since the worst case scenario is that a index rebuild will
require scanning (probably) all those tapes for index chunks.  If this
number is 10 or less tapes, I don't do savegrp -O and save indexes along
with the savesets.  I'm willing to wait for these tapes to load and
scan.  But where it's much more than 10 tapes, it would take days to
scan all the tapes!  Compare this to scanning one index tape start to
finish.

As long as you have the index somplace, there's no scanner commands at
all, just nsrck -L7

Also, you have explicit control over the expiration this way - at the
cost of making client resources for the SGO group(s), or using
group/pool settings if your version supports them.  So we have 2 SGO
client resources for each client, one for dailies which last a week, and
another for offsite fulls, which match that retention.

HTH
Jerry