Networker

Re: [Networker] Setting multiple modes using nsrmm?

2008-04-09 14:54:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setting multiple modes using nsrmm?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:50:23 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/09/2008 02:22:01 PM:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:08:31PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > I have a list of volumes that I want to set to be "readonly" and
"manual".
> > I can't seem to find a way to set both with a single command. i.e.,
> >
> > nsrmm -o readonly,manual 915733
> > 6238:nsrmm: `readonly,manual' is not a valid flag
>
> Yup.
>
> > It's not that big a deal to run the command twice (especially as I'm
doing
> > it from a script, in a loop), but it seems odd that I can't set both
> > attributes at once. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Your expectations are too high.  :-)  As far as I know, one thing at a
> time with nsrmm.

D'OH! :-) Thanks.

> > (these volumes are my month-end tapes, so I don't want them to expire
on
> > the policy, nor do I want to add anything more to these volumes)
>
> Technically, they will still "expire" (and the file indexes will be
> purged), but you can still track the savesets.
>
> I would prefer to change the retention period on the saveset to make it
> explicit that I want to retain the data longer.  It also makes it easier
> to do reports on "number of expired media" that make sense.  You don't
> have to worry about removing manually-recyclable tapes as an exception.

I have a 2 month browse/2 month retention policy now. I'm changing that to
6 months browse for certain clients (mail and my main SAN storage). I plan
on changing retention time to one year, on the EOM savesets. I got that
idea from our last email conversation. :-) Dunno if I will also change the
browse time to 6 months, or just the retention ....

I plan on 2 loops - one for all savesets, and change retention - and one
for volumes, making them readonly and manual.

Thanks!