Networker

Re: [Networker] networker nmc and java...

2008-04-09 11:58:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] networker nmc and java...
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:54:35 -0400
On Apr 9, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Sid Shapiro wrote:
Hello,
We are bringing up a new server. Our old one was pre-the-java version of the nmc. Now trying to bring up the 7.4sp1 version of the nmc on a windows system - the server is running on hp-ux, but trying to run the console on windows... Getting all sorts of java issues - which version, etc. I was/am
running java 6, but networker says that isn't supported. So we've been
trying to run some previous versions, but we have some compatibility
problems with other apps, etc. Running multiple versions of java seems not to work very well, in fact we have not yet run across a java version which
*does* run on a windows box for the nmc.

Is there a definitive doc or how to for this? Or can anyone offer any
suggestions?

Several of my colleagues have ordered a Mac mini for their desk. They keep it on a cheap KVM or just run WIndows virtualized on it. I use a Mac Pro, which is overkill for most people. Jave apps just work on Mac OS X and it doesn't even matter if you run multiple versions of Java. Every time I try to get NMC to work on Windows, it gives me a headache and I just fire up NMC on my Mac and it works. So you can either continue to pull out your hair dealing with Java on Windows, or for a few hundred $$, you can get a Mac mini and be productive with NMC. Linux would presumably work well too.