Networker

[Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-09 09:48:23
Subject: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:46:24 -0400
So all of my backup jobs have "No index save" set as an option; this was
apparently done under advice of EMC, when they originally set us up. Now,
I can understand the reasoning for a separate Bootstrap group and separate
tape; this facilitates ease of DR recovery, so I can get back all of my
clients at once (I think). But why would I *not* want to save the index
with each backup job? Wouldn't having the index make restoring/recovering
from tape easier? i.e., it's easier to do a "scanner -m" rather than
having to do a more time-consuming "scanner -i".

So I'm thinking of changing my job definitions to remove the "No index
save", but also keep my separate Bootstrap group, tape and scheduled job
to run the "savegrp -O" every morning.

Thoughts? Good idea? Best practice? Waste of time? etc

Thanks

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM