Networker

Re: [Networker] upgrade path

2008-04-07 21:04:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] upgrade path
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:55:23 +1000
Symantec is doing exactly the same thing as EMC, they bought the product
which is now called puredisk and they are gradually integrating it  into
the netbackup suite.   They're approaching the integration a bit
differently, so if you try to compare features today it's a very complex
decision to make, but so far from my perspective, EMC look to have a
better licensing model than symantec and that's probably what will win
the day, although from a technology point of view it's anyone's guess
which will be the best in 2 years time. Everyone will have a different
experience depending on their type of organisation...

EMC therefore have a chance of doing something brilliant here, but
there's that chance that they will stuff it up with lots of bugs during
the integration like we're used to. I'm told however that EMC really
have put a lot of people to work on the development side this time, and
presumably they're actually testing it now before releasing it like they
didn't with 7.3.

I think that dedup is going to be the number one most important backup
feature in years to come,  think firewalls, slow wan links, and
laptops...  All things we have to compromise on with networker today can
be addressed, but if you look at avamar and puredisk as standalone
products they just don't have the depth of features the traditional
backup suites have.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.