Networker

Re: [Networker] Confused about setting volume to readonly and manual

2008-04-04 12:47:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confused about setting volume to readonly and manual
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:40:12 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/04/2008 11:14:10 AM:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:34:10AM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > Is it "nsrmm  -v -o readonly,manual volume"? I figured I would ask,
before
> > just plowing ahead and changing something, perhaps wrongly.
>
> The 'readonly' will prevent any new data from being added to the tape,
> and the 'manual' will prevent the tape from being recycled
> automatically.

Yes, I read your mail earlier that mentioned this. It's what clued me in,
to maybe start doing this ...

> > I'm confused
> > as to how to change the retention to "always".
>
> Manual is close, but not the same.  The savesets will expire, but since
> the tape isn't eligible for recycling, they shouldn't ever be removed.
>
> But the file indexes will still be purged after the broswe time
> expires.  To keep them around, you'd have to reset the browse and
> retention policies for the saveset before its purged.

AH HA!

> > As an aside, don't I want the retention on my month end tapes to be
> > forever? And if so, don't I want the browsing of those same tapes to
also
> > be forever, so that I cana find just that 1 file in the whole 300G
> > saveset?
>
> Basically, yes.  Setting the times on the savesets involved will do
> that.
>
> nsrmm -e/-w <time> -S <SSID>

OK! ... So I need to get a list of SSIDs from this volumes - got that.
Then I need to do something like:

nsrmm -e "year" -w "year" -S <SSID>

("year" being the name of a policy I already have, with a period defined
as "1 year")

Or is there some other way I would specify the time period? Right now, I
have a "2 months" policy for most of my clients. And that's fine - it's
just a couple special ones - such as my mail server and perhaps my SAN or
other file servers - that I would want a longer period, since those are
the ones I would be most likely restoring from, within a year.

Longer than a year, I'd have to do a "scanner -i". That's fine, too, since
that should be a rarer occurence.

I can change the client definitions to use the "year" policy, but that
won't affect any SSIDs created before the change, right? Hence the need to
do the "nsrmm -w / -w" commands.

Thanks for all the help!