Networker

Re: [Networker] nsradmin - external editors are not yet supported

2008-04-02 14:31:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsradmin - external editors are not yet supported
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:23:08 +0100
Scott Harney wrote:

Now Davina said:

However: at 7.3.x and above you cannot edit jukebox resources from
nsradmin anyway. Well you can, but the changes are ignored. I confess to
total ignorance about how this now works, can anyone enlighten me please?

And that's just not the case.  We use nsradmin in 7.3.x to edit jukebox
resources all the time.  Most administration we do is via nsradmin and we
just use the GUI as a visual aid and monitoring.

OK... I want to be wrong about this one...

Recently I was trying to edit the device order of a jukebox on a Windows 2003 NetWorker server running NW 7.4.1. I was using nsradmin in batch mode, using a print and an update command. This is something I have done successfully many times at versions up to 7.2.x, but of course good old nwadmin also used to allow me to do this and NMC doesn't.

What I found was that the edit appeared to work, and even querying the updated resource back again it looked correct, but when I loaded tapes into the drive it still loaded them into the wrong one. I eventually deleted the jukebox and recreated with jbconfig. I found that the auto-config from NMC does not work well at all so resorted to the old faithful command line tool.

I wasted a whole afternoon on this, which is why I _was_ fairly convinced that it no longer worked, plus the fact that others on this list have said similar things.

Perhaps more investigation is needed - as I say, I want to be wrong.