Networker

Re: [Networker] Backups of Large clients 1+ TBs

2008-04-02 10:12:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backups of Large clients 1+ TBs
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:08:46 -0500
Our development servers are actually a collection of about 8-10 copies
of "production".   Instead of having 1 200 GB database, we have 8-10 of
them within 1 SQL server install.   An incremental will backup only
transacation logs, while differential backups will only backup the
individual SQL database that has been updated.   Say one of our
developers does some testing on DB1, but DB's 2-10 are unchanged, then
only DB1 will be backed up - and only the changes on that database.  In
our case, most of the time, that means the entire database.

If you look at page 56 of the Networker (5.1) SQL Admin guide, it will
tell you the reasons that an incremental or differential backup will be
promoted to a full backup.  Not sure what page it's on in 5.0 or 4.x,
but it's in there.

You might need to consult with your DBA person/group.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk