Networker

Re: [Networker] How to get a list of clients?

2008-04-02 07:58:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to get a list of clients?
From: Vincent Lin <vlinx AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 04:53:13 -0700
# nsrls

----- Original Message ----
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Sent: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:17:47 PM

MIchael Leone wrote:
> I'd like to get a list of all my clients from NW. You might think it would
> be as simple as "mminfo -r client", but that doesn't seem to work. Ideally,
> I'd like a unique list of clients, but I'll probably have to massage the
> file myself, and that's OK.
>
> What am I missing?

In short, what you are missing is the -a flag.

Your query will list the client attribute of all save sets written in
the last 24 hours (this is explained in the mminfo man page or command
reference document). The -a flag switches this to all save sets ever.
Also note that if you were to add a -q (query) flag it would
automatically imply the -a flag.

The above query will list the client name many times, because what you
are in fact doing is listing all save sets but just displaying the
client field. You will probably find it useful to pipe this through
uniq, or sort -u, or whatever similar utilities you have on your OS.

Others have already responded with nsradmin based solutions, and these
are good. The difference is that nsradmin will display all configured
clients, whether or not they have save sets in the medis DB, whereas
mminfo will display all clients that have backed up within the limits of
your retention policies (and sometimes beyond), whether or not they are
still defined as a current backup client. You need to decide which
approach best meets your requirement.

Access, No Cost.