Networker

Re: [Networker] Netapp Snapshots & Networker

2008-02-22 10:39:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netapp Snapshots & Networker
From: "Buerger, Andreas" <andreas.buerger AT WINCOR-NIXDORF DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:37:22 +0100
You have to configure the full snapshot path in the save set attribute of your
networker client.
And, yes you can't just point to the snapshot folder. If you want to backup
snapshots, you have to specify each path to the snapshot you want to backup.

Then you will see the same path you've backup up:

/vol/vol1/.snapshot/snap_to_tape

You can browse into the snapshot and see the normal content of your volume.
Thats what I wanted to explain with 'the snaps are "frozen views" of the active
filesystem at a specific time'.

May be you can have a look at http://www.netapp.com/products/snapshot.html to
make things clearer.
You are not able to do a ndmp backup of the deltas you see in every snapshot.
Snapshots are just other pointers to blocks.
And not only to changed or deleted blocks, thats why a ndmp backup of a
snapshot is always a full backup.