Networker

Re: [Networker] inquire cannot see tape devices but Solaris OS can

2008-02-21 18:38:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] inquire cannot see tape devices but Solaris OS can
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:31:34 +1100

In solaris 8 and 9, the way to reorder drives is to remove all the
symlinks and manually create the single numeric device symlink pointing
into the device tree - eg run 'ls -l /dev/rmt/?' out to a file, run 'rm
/dev/rmt/*'  then use the information from the file to create the
symlinks in the order you want (with ln -s)   then run the 'tapes'
command to create all the other links...

In solaris 10  it does not work this way though..    For FC attached
drives you need to put some information into the /etc/devlink.tab file -
it's picky about spaces and tabs, so read the manpage... You need to
know the WWPN's  (which you can get from 'cfgadm -al'), my devlinks
looks a bit like this:

type=ddi_byte:tape;addr=wfffffff0008fe6f0,0;    rmt/01\M0
type=ddi_byte:tape;addr=wfffffff0008fe6f9,0;    rmt/04\M0
type=ddi_byte:tape;addr=wfffffff0008fe720,0;    rmt/17\M0

Then you remove everything in /dev/rmt and run devfsadm -c tape

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.