Networker

Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-21 12:41:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:28:28 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?, Vincent...:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?, Tim...:

I don't know what you're getting at here, so I can't comment.  What,
exactly, are you hot-plugging on your backup server?  Entire I/O boards?

Hardware management layer similar to AIX, HPUX, Tru64 and Solaris.
Hot plug PCI-x, adding new FC disk or FC tape drive without reboot under
persistent binding.

I've never tried to hot plug I/O cards on any of our Linux systems, so I
have no experience in that regard. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Linux support for that kind of thing lags behind the big commercial vendors.

We do hot adds and hot removes of FC devices (primarily disk) regularly,
though, and thats worked fine for us.  With our FC disk, we've never
needed to worry about persistent binding, primarily because all our SAN
disk is either part of LVM or a Linux RAID device (md), so it doesn't
matter what device file the storage gets mapped to, as the LVM or MD layer
handles that.

We've also done (a few) hot adds and hot removes of FC tape devices, and
that's worked alright for us too.  It's no big deal for us to reboot our
NetWorker servers, though, so we usually would take that route -- if for
no other reason than to apply any outstanding kernel updates.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)