Networker

Re: [Networker] What level is a differential backup?

2008-02-20 18:07:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] What level is a differential backup?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:02:03 +0000
MIchael Leone wrote:
Backup levels are confusing me. Here's what I want - Full backup on Fri, differential on Mon - Thu. I use the standard definition of a differential - any file that has changed since the last FULL backup.

On my schedule, the full is easy enough. But the description of "incremental" - "Backs up files that have changed since the last backup, regardless of level. " sounds a lot like differential. Or is differential a level 1 - "A level 1 backup backs up all files that have changed since the most recent full backup (considered a level zero).". This sounds exactly like a differential to me. :-)

So do a do a FULL on Fri, and a level 1 on Mon - Thu? Or is it incremental?

A differential is any numbered level in NetWorker. If you just want plain old differentials, pick a number (say 5, or 1) and stick with it.

An incremental is NOT a differential. An incremental backs up anything that changed since the last backup of any level, and as such may require many backups in order to restore a full filesystem.

NetWorker gives you multiple numbered levels for extra functionality. If you don't want this extra functionality, just use level 5 each day and call it a differential.