Networker

[Networker] BUG: Windows Backups in 7.4

2008-02-15 12:08:14
Subject: [Networker] BUG: Windows Backups in 7.4
From: Andrew Dietz <andrew.dietz AT OIT.GATECH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:56:48 -0500
A while back I posted a question on this forum pertaining to problems recovering files from %SystemRoot%/WinSxS on Windows XP/Server 2003 hosts. One reply on the list suggested that files from that directory are saved under special saveset SYSTEM FILES:, but this was not the case in my NetWorker 7.4 environment (both server and client).

After opening a case with Sun (we use the rebranded Sun EBS 7.4, which is essentially identical except in name), a tier 2 engineer sent me the following:

<snip>
My contact at EMC reports that he found that a similar issue ("The content
of %SystemRoot%/winsxs does not get backed up") was documented as
a defect, and resolved, for NetWorker version 7.3.3. We are not sure (as
of this moment) if this issue was also resolved for 7.4.x; my contact at
EMC is checking on this.
</snip>

She informed me later that this fix was mistakenly left out of subsequent releases, namely 7.4 and the most recent 7.4.1, and that a special hotfix would be issued to me to resolve the problem:

<snip>
I've filed Sun Change Request (CR) 6663428 to document this issue at Sun Microsystems ("*Synopsis*: the contents of the WinSxs folder does not get backed up on Windows2003 clients").

I have also requested a test solution from EMC, for NetWorker version 7.4.1, for the Windows2003 x86 platform. As far as I know, this is a client-side only solution, but I have asked EMC to verify this.
</snip>

If you backup Windows XP SP2 or Windows Server 2003 hosts in NW 7.4, check that the files in %SystemRoot%/WinSxS are being backed up, and if not, I would suggest contacting EMC.

To check, you can do the following:

1. Find the utime for the latest SYSTEM FILES: saveset:

# mminfo -r nsavetime -N 'SYSTEM FILES:\' -c windows.hostname -otR | head -1

and
2. Search for saved files from the WinSxS directory in the saveset:

# nsrinfo -t 1234567890 windows.hostname | grep WinSxS

Andrew