Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4sp1 NDMP backups on NetAPP filers

2008-02-13 16:03:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4sp1 NDMP backups on NetAPP filers
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:59:44 -0600
Hello,
No not really, except for running level backups or splitting the file
system up, we have the same problem and none of the support has any
suggestions, we are on Ontap 7.2.3 , NDMP 4, LTO2 with Home Directories
backup exceeding apx 850 GB, not very large by any standards, i would like
to know how are other netapp admins backing up larger savesets or any
workarounds.
Networker 7.3.2 on Windows 2003, i almost have exact error, which i
thought tape contention might have caused it but now i am thinking it may
be size related.
Usually, gets stuck and errors out with file history phase of NDMP. (
Wonder if any thing can be done in regards to file history, can you backup
without file history-what would i lose-may be just for test any way)
Thanks

Brian Yakimowicz <byakimowicz AT COLLEGEBOARD DOT ORG>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/13/2008 02:07 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Brian Yakimowicz <byakimowicz AT COLLEGEBOARD DOT ORG>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4sp1 NDMP backups on NetAPP filers

I see this issue all the time.  it happens when you have large numbers of
inodes or files on a volume.  I recently had an incremental backup run for

about 25 hours and only back up about 500gig.  It had 2.9 million files in

it.  In comparison I had another incremental backup of 462gig which only
took about 5 hours and it had 1900 files.

All the time is taken up during phase2 of the ndmp process.  the thing
that
really sucks about this is that it ties up a drive for the whole process.
So it sits there idle for 20 hours, then writes for 5.

I have asked both emc and netapp about this, and neither really has a good

answer.  One thing we are going to try and do is try and tune our volumes
so they are 1 million files and under.. seems easy enough, but as volumes
grow this can become more complicated.

anybody else have any other ways around this?

type