Networker

Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-13 09:53:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:50:32 -0500
Fazil> My question is, do you see a need for 10G card on Master or SN
Fazil> Legato servers ? considering design recommendations ( 50 client
Fazil> per server or SN as a start)and client load with Master server
Fazil> or SNodes 1 or 2 GB ethernet seems to do the trick, what might
Fazil> be the reasoning behind 10G on any platform ? Should you not
Fazil> look to use SN licence and or off-loading ethernet traffic and
Fazil> utilizing block level backups ?  i tend to connect any servers
Fazil> who's backups run longer then 4-5 hrs and or over 100+ GB (
Fazil> with no room for any improvements) with SN licences, i wonder
Fazil> how the rest of the admins use this guidelines ?

This doesn't help you when your storage is all on NetApps, then you
need to goto NDMP at some point, though we're still NFS based due to
our concerns with restore limitations.  We have LOTS of files and lots
of data and the old NDMP limitation of 10,240 file restores from DAR
backups was a killer.

I know the limit is now upto 1,000,000 files, but we're still worried,
since our users expect to be able to restore arbitrary amounts of data
at any time, and some areas have alot of files.  So we'd hate to have
to break it up.

We should just jump into the water I guess...

Fazil> For those who have made such an move, can you explain what were
Fazil> the driving factors, performance limitations and how has it
Fazil> improved since you used such technology's, that would set a
Fazil> guideline for the rest of us ?  Similarly, i don't see a huge
Fazil> need for 8-10 G FC except for very large shops doing specific
Fazil> implementations ( Multi TB backups, multiple high performance
Fazil> Drive i.e LTO4's),

We're looking at how to connect our NetApps to Networker to Disk to
Tape.  Fibre Channel seems to be the right move, but we're not sure.
We do want to stage to disk first, then to tape, but that brings in a
whole lot of cost for disk which sits around alot, which the bean
counters don't like to see.  :]

John