Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning Backups

2008-02-12 14:35:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning Backups
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:31:13 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
02/12/2008 01:45:19 PM:

> As far as your script goes I have no comment since all of or groups are
> set to automatically clone.  On the rare occasions when I need to do a
> manual clone I just use the GUI.

Same here. All my clones are automatic. I only clone through the GUI if a
clone job fails for some reason (or a saveset within the clone job fails
to clone, I guess I should say).

> We have enough tapes (both backup and clone) in the rotation for about 8
> weeks of backups and when we reach the end of that period I just
> manually re-label the oldest regardless of their "expired" status.

Again, mostly the same. We send tapes offsite for 2 months. When they come
back in, I load them, change their status to "RECYCLABLE", and run a
script to re-label all the RECYCLABLE tapes.

However, my storage nodes are all AFTD devices, with enough disk space for
2 days backup only. So I run a script every Tue through Sat, that removes
the oldest savesets from these AFTDs that have already been cloned,
freeing the disk space, and also removes them from the index.

Like this (on Win2003):

==============================
mminfo -r "ssid,cloneid,client,savetime(22),totalsize(2),copies" -q
"client=%machine%,volume=%tapevol%,copies>2,savetime<1 day ago 17:00"|find
/V "ssid">%nwpath%\tmp\%machine%_ss_list.txt

for /F "tokens=1-2" %%a in (%nwpath%\tmp\%machine%_ss_list.txt) do nsrmm
-y -d -S %%a/%%b
)

echo Reclaiming space from Advanced File Type Device %tapevol%
nsrstage -v -C -V %tapevol%

I use the "17:00", because my backup jobs start at 6PM. Script runs at
3PM. So this gives me everything made 2 days ago. (altho it took me a
while to realize I needed to say "ago"; thanks for the tip, Darren. :-) )