Networker

Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-12 00:54:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:50:00 +0200
Stan Horwitz wrote:
On Feb 11, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Sid Shapiro wrote:

Hello,
I'm about to upgrade to the latest networker and I need to upgrade my
hardware as well, so - what better time to ask :
What's the best platform on which to run networker server these days.
Clients are HP-UX Solaris, AIX, Linux, windows - with oracle, lotus notes,
exchange, sql-server.

Define "best" anyway you like - best performance, best price-performance,
etc., etc..

I usually like to go with the primary development platform, but I don't
know what that is for networker these days. Do you?

For me, the answer is obvious. Best is the platform that offers the most NetWorker features, bug fixes, and new releases fastest. Solaris for sparc. Bottom line is, you need to weigh the expertise you have on staff heavily in your decision. If you are a Windows shop, then Windows is probably your best choice unless you want to undergo a major learning curve in hardware and operating system.

Let's just say that Bill Gates statement regarding "trustworthy computing" was not made because Microsoft was delivering it already (and I don't think they do it now).

--

-- Yaron.