Networker

[Networker] DR Issues

2008-02-11 15:01:24
Subject: [Networker] DR Issues
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:49:54 -0600
Hello,
I would like to know what workarounds procedures that admins have
developed in particular to Offsite DR, i would like to compare my own.
each DR bring more challenges, last dr with Networker 7.3.3  on Windows
and ADIC i2k, restores kept freezing up after running for little bit, we
had to restart server each time to make it work.Did not notice any obvious
errors on Tape hardware, ADIC, or Windows eventlog, except time sync
errors to DC for windows time services, did not get a chance check Fiber
channel switch for any errors.
This was 64 bit version or Networker  running on windows 2003 64 bit with
SP2, IBM LTO2 FC attached Tape drives ( on HP DL585-G2-SAS Drives), it did
not matter if the restores were local to the server or over the network. (
CDI and Removable SM off), not sure if server hardware was the issues,
tape drivers, FC or just bad Networker install.
Also , i would like to know if some one can detail the procedure to
unconfigure pools and device selection criteria, deleting existing VTL
tape , running backups from clones with NSR admin, right now it takes long
time for us to unconfigure, reconfigure in DR since the architecture ,
hardware are dissimilar, any scripts to unconfigure would be useful.
We do not use host file ( except networker server and sn entries) for name
resolution, it take upwards of 20-30 minutes when the server gets rebooted
or services gets restarted to gain the functionality, due to reverse
look-up routine ( we recover 20 clients out of 200 at DR), DNS etc are
functional at DR.Any suggestions on name resolution mess and what is the
best way to avoid this delay. ( i.e entering fake host entires for each
configured client, deleting clients that will not be recovered)
I am looking for practicle suggestion outside of DR manual.
Thanks