Networker

[Networker] Reincorporating old tape set into Networker media database

2008-02-06 11:26:41
Subject: [Networker] Reincorporating old tape set into Networker media database
From: "Law, Steve [UK]" <Steve.Law AT CGI-EUROPE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:19:10 -0000
Hi,

We use Legato Networker 7.1.3 on Win2003 in an amateur fashion for our
backups.

Last weekend we had a problem where we ran out disk space on the d:
drive where Legato is installed. We fixed the problem by deleting loads
of old volumes & their file indexes, freeing up about 8gb. But now,
surprise surprise, someone wants a restore from Dec 2006.

Problem is I've only ever restored from either tapes that are already in
the media database and therefore are known to Networker and browsable
etc, or in our regular Disaster Recovery exercies where we rebuild the
whole server and recover the Legato config using the latest bootstrap.
I've never just imported one tape set (of six tapes) in.

Our usual procedure at DR is:

1) Install Networker Administrator and Networker User client
2) Configure tape drive
3) Get latest bootstrap info from the tape (scanner -B)
4) Run mmrecov using this bootstrap info
5) Shut down Administrator, stop all services and rename the d:\program
files\legato\nsr\Res folder to Res.old, then rename the new Res.R to
Res. Then restart services and Administrator
6) Delete the restored tape library (autochanger) object within Legato,
or Legato will think your single standalone drive is part of a tape
library, which never works.
7) If a browsable restore is required run nsrck -L7 to recover the
8) Run Networker User to perform either a Save Set or browsable restore.

However if I do that won't I end up with the whole of Networker back how
it was in Dec 2006? I suppose I could do the restore then reverse the
Res folder rename process, but that seems a bit clumsy.

Is there an elegant command I can use to reincorporate this tapes set,
browsable indexes and all, back into the current media database?

Hope this makes sense, thanks,

Steve
*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.
A CGI Group Inc.  Company Registered address:
Broadlands House, Primett  Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 3EE,  United
Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales - Number 2843595