Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong

2008-02-05 11:53:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 18:49:20 +0200
Ian G Batten wrote:
As another datapoint, I can back up the NSR server to its own storage. So it's not _totally_ broken.

On Solaris, I would try to run snoop and see what comes up. It might be useful to filter by host:

snoop host <ip address of client>

 Also try to run the snoop on the client and see if that is more helpful:

snoop host <ip address of server>

ian

On 05 Feb 08, at 1520, Ian G Batten wrote:

I wanted to remove our our Networker server, an E450 running Solaris 8 and Networker 7.1.1. The only storage is a couple of local disk devices (bootstraps and index backups go there, then are cloned to remote tape, as a workaround for the networker server not having tape devices).

The replacement is a V240 running Solaris 10 and Networker 7.3.3 (7.4 seems a bit new).

Tape storage is on a distinct node, Solaris 10 + 7.1.1, driving an ADIC 100. I intend to upgrade that to 7.3.3 or 7.4 when the main networker node is finished.

I installed the relevant packages on the V240, moved /var/nsr over, set up an entry for the networker server, applied all the new licenses against the new host id, made sure that the server references itself as the license server.

And nothing works.

My test client is running Solaris 10 and 7.3.3, but I have a mixture of 7.3.3, 7.1.1 and one 6.1.4 (Sparc 10, which won't run 7).

There are no error messages. I can start a group using nmc, and all the client savesets go into `contacting client' state, and then hang. save is sometimes started on the remote client, but makes no progress. Nothing is logged client, server, nmc. I can see the storage server from the NMC, and nsrjb -s backup-srv works from the storage server, so I'm confident the various machines are seeing each other. If I deliberately break the pool the test backup is going into, so that the Default pool would be selected (which has no media in it) then I get messages telling me to load a Default piece of media. But if the saveset matches a valid pool, there is total silence.

Fortunately I have the E450 on ice, so I can simply revert to that at any time. But if anyone has helpful hints, please let me have them!

ian

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

-- Yaron.