Networker

[Networker] How to get a 40-slot Autochanger license to work for a 42 slot library?

2008-01-31 20:07:00
Subject: [Networker] How to get a 40-slot Autochanger license to work for a 42 slot library?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:04:08 -0500
I'm not sure if this will work, but I have a 42 slot Quantum M1800 (two M1500s stacked) tape library with a 64 slot Autochanger. I have an snode managing this, running 7.2.2 on Linux. I'll bite the bullet on the 64-slot license if there's no way around it, but I'd really like to get this to work with a 40 slot license to save cost. That way we could upgrade a 32 slot license we no longer need to a 40 slot for the Quantum and then upgrade the 64-slot license to a 128 slot license for a new library. This would be a big savings, I don't care about giving up two slots. Those last two slots are fixed slots that can be used for data cartridges, but are usually reserved for cleaning cartridges, and I don't let NW do the cleaning.

To test, I added a 40 slot temp license (exp date = Mar 15, 2008), removed the permanent license, stopped and restarted everything.
When I try to mount tapes, NW complains with the following:

Jukebox 'rd=snode:M1800' failed: The jukebox 'rd=snode:M1800' is not properly licensed. Make sure
the jukebox is properly enabled and authorized.

A soon as I re-added the 64-slot license it started working properly - no restart required. Well, this didn't surprise me. The jukebox config lists the physical slots as 1-42, but I do have available slots listed at 1-40 because when I originally configured the library I told NW to reserve slots 41-42 for cleaning. I later switched to doing cleaning on the library. I tried clearing out the 'Cleaning slots' field, but that didn't resolve this issue. NW still lists:

41  Cleaning Tape (17 us
42  Cleaning Tape (29 us

in the mount window (nwadmin). If I run 'changers -ldv' on the snode, it reports:

[email protected]:Vendor <M4 DATA>, Product <MagFile>, Revision <12.0>

        1 MT Element(s) starting at address 32
       40 ST Element(s) starting at address 192
        4 DT Element(s) starting at address 128

I've not tried removing the jukebox and reconfiguring it with nsrjb. I think when I originally configured
it, I hadn't first enabled Cleaning on the library for those two slots.

1. Should I try removing the jukebox and reconfiguring it now that the library is set to see those two slots
as cleaning slots? Might that work?

2. How about if I run nsradmin and then change the physical slots from 1-42 to 1-40? I've never tried that, but I don't think it's possible in nwadmin. It does appear editable in nsradmin, though?

3. If that won't work, could I shut down NW on the primary sever and snode and then manually edit the corresponding res file (/nsr/res/nsrdb/06/001a00fb000000000000000044d20f130a5aeb07)? This appears to be an ASCII file. Then restart everything? Would that be a quick way to test it?
Don't want to risk corrupting anything so just asking first.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210